Frequently Asked Kayaking Questions
We understand that kayaking for beginners can be a little scary and that there are many questions. Below are the 5 most common questions that we get asked on our kayaking trips.
- What is the best clothing for a kayak trip? This depends on the temperature of the water and air. Generally speaking, synthetic materials that dry quickly are best.
- Should I wear shoes when kayaking? It is best to wear shoes that protect your feet (top and bottom) when kayaking. You never know when you might step on something or when something might scrape the top off your foot (especially oysters).
- How stable are kayaks and do they ever flip? Generally speaking most kayaks are stable and they don't flip often. However, they do occasionally flip usually while entering or exiting the kayak.
- Do I need to be a strong swimmer in order to kayak? Comfort in the water is beneficial while kayaking, in case there is an incident, but it is not required to be a strong swimmer. In the event of a capsize your pfd will float you.
- Are lifejackets (pfd's) required for kayaking? It is always a good idea to wear a pfd while kayaking. Laws pertaining to pfd usage vary by state and season so it is best to check your
If you have further questions, feel free to reach out by e-mail or call 315-316-1125. You can also check out some articles about kayaking on our Articles and Trips page.